It’s descended upon Brisbane – 10,000 animals, 300 showbags, 20,000 toasted sandwiches, 13 tonnes of strawberries, 24 tonnes of ice cream…
Believe it or not, among the tonnes of sugar and hundreds of showbags, there is a way you can head for a healthy spin at this year’s 136th Ekka!
If you’re heading out for a day at the show, or packing up the family for any festival visit or big day out for that matter – it’s essential to plan the day in advance to make the most of the healthy options on offer.
Here are a couple of Cancer Council Queensland’s best tips to help you and the family stay happy and healthy on a big day out:
- Treats like lollies and strawberry sundaes are okay in moderation – try to limit your sugar consumption on the day and save the showbag treats for later on.
- There are plenty of healthy alternatives when it comes to showbags – consider choosing ones with magazines, health and fitness equipment or toys for the kids as something different.
- Last year’s Ekka was spread across 22 hectares – plenty of places for people to explore and stay active on their day out! Pack your walking shoes and a water bottle! Like any big day out, it’s important to stay active and be comfortable when you’re on your feet all day.
- Take along some healthy sandwiches or piece of fruit to snack on during the day to save you reaching for too much sugar.
- There are also plenty of healthy alternatives on offer around the pavilions, so sample some of the state’s finest, healthiest produce while you’re out and about!
Up to one third of all cancers are preventable through simple lifestyle adjustments including eating healthily, maintaining a healthy weight, engaging in regular physical activity, quitting smoking and staying SunSmart.
Don’t forget to stay SunSmart at this year’s show either. Pack the sunscreen to reapply and wear a broad-brimmed hat. Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek and Slide to reduce your risk of skin cancer.
Having a healthy lifestyle isn’t about a one-off choice – it’s building healthy habits into your everyday schedule to ensure best quality of life and to help you feel your best.
And – BONUS! Cancer Council’s SunSmart Shop at the top of Gregory Terrace will give a 10 per cent discount to anyone that quotes “winter SunSmart” at the checkout – so head there to stock up on sunscreen, hats and sunnies before hitting the Ekka.
More information about Cancer Council Queensland is available via Cancer Council Helpline 13 11 20.