There are two reasons why I love this Relient K song. 1) It makes me smile every time I hear that catchy tune. 2) It makes me smile every time I listen to the lyrics.
I love the opening line: We should get jerseys cause we make a good team.
If you want to know the secret to a happy marriage, that pretty much sums it up. Marriage isn’t all roses and sunshine. It’s jolly hard work. As is anything that’s worth anything!
So here are my tips for being a good team player in your marriage:
1. It’s not all about you. Imagine waking up every morning and the first question you ask yourself is: ‘how can I make the world a better place for someone today?’ Start with your partner. Instead of thinking of all the things they should be doing for you, do something just for them every day.
2. Be his/her biggest fan. Cheer them on. Know what their goals are and do whatever you can to help them achieve their goals. When my hubby kicks a goal, I’m always the first person he calls to celebrate with and I love that.
3. Listen. No really, listen. Communication is key and the old adage is true: ‘nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care.’ A big part of that is making sure your partner feels heard and understood.
4. You’re not the coach, you’re team mates. You’re in this together. Make sure you’ve got each other’s backs. Don’t be ready to come down on your partner when he/she makes a mistake. Remember, it’s their turn to stuff up today, tomorrow it could be your turn!
5. Check on the glue that’s holding you together. For hubby & me, it’s our faith. I’m so thankful we have that central focus away from ourselves and onto something far greater than we could ever hope or imagine. We know the best is yet to come!
I’d love to hear your secrets to a happy marriage! Please do leave a comment below…Share
Follow Mum Daily