A sweet take on your traditional black bean burgers, these are insanely light, filling and tasty. Make them earlier in the week and freeze them for quick sandwiches and burgers on the go.
Sweet potatoes are packed with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties and Vitamins A & C. They are also particularly noted for keeping blood sugar under control.
The recipe makes about 9 burger patties at around 110 calories each. The nutritional info doesn’t factor in the coconut oil used to pan fry. By adding 1 teaspoon of coconut oil per each patty, it will increase the calorie content from 110 calories to 140 calories. So—not bad at all!
Topping suggestions: On a wholewheat organic bun place the black bean burgers with sliced avocados, red onion, organic tomato and lettuce. You can also add ketchup, hot sauce, mango salsa, pickles…the fixings are endless! Go crazy!
Note about texture: these are made with sweet potatoes so the texture might be a little different than you’re used to. If you’re seeking something more heavier and dense, add a tablespoon of flour at a time to the mixture until you get a thicker desired consistency before shaping the patties for the pan.
Tip: Try making these the night before and storing the shaped patties in an airtight container in the fridge before cooking.
Tex Mex Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Cook time||20 minutes|
|Total time||50 minutes|
|Dietary||Diabetic, Vegan, Vegetarian|
- 1 cup Cooked brown rice
- 2 cups Packed mashed sweet potato (about 1lb yields 2 cups mashed.)
- 2 cups Black beans (1 15oz can rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoon Ground flaxeed with 3 TB water (or replace with 1 egg for vegetarian option)
- 1 cup Old fashioned oatmeal (grinded)
- 1/4 cup Red bell peppers (finely diced)
- 1 small Onion
- 1/4 cup Freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- Coconut Oil (for pan-frying)
- 1/4 cup Red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Coconut oil (for pan-frying)
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne powder
Follow Mum Daily