January 3 is known as ‘divorce day‘ – the most popular day for women to file for divorce. Perhaps because they’ve held it together for the festive season but can’t keep up the charade any longer.
Sadly, most men don’t see it coming. Going through life blissfully unaware that their partner is desperately unhappy.
I recently read an article in Psychology Today called ‘7 Relationship Resolutions Worth Keeping.’ I’ve decided my New Year’s Resolution is to do marriage better. To spend a year living out these resolutions and (hopefully) avoid becoming a statistic (almost 50,000 couples filed for divorce in Australia last year). Here are the 7 tips:
1. Do more activities together – and no, watching tv doesn’t count. Research shows that the more adventurous and active you are together, the better for your relationship.
2. Get a sense of humour. Seriously! Being able to have a laugh together can lighten the mood, ease tension and help you face the future together with a positive outlook.
3. Learn to listen. And that means hearing unspoken words, too. Practice makes perfect on this one. Knowing what your partner is really saying, rather than just what you think you
re hearing is a real art form.
4. Don’t forget to say ‘I love you.’ It’s good to remind your partner… and yourself!
5. Go to church. It’s a fantastic place to surround yourself with positive people, attend bible based marriage courses and find the support you need.
6. Take a digital detox every now and then. You don’t have to multi-task 24/7. Take a break from technology and enjoy some quality 1 on 1 conversation.
7. Forgive. This is so much more about the freedom it offers you, rather than ‘letting your partner off the hook.’ You’ll both be much happier if you forgive. Trust me on that one.
So, as the new year fast approaches, think of it as an opportunity for new beginnings, fresh starts and a positive outlook. I think I’ll book a date night for January 3. What a great way to kick off my new year’s resolution.
Oh, and back to point 3 about listening… Ladies, you’ll love this youtube clip 😉Share
Follow Mum Daily